In preparation for rehearsal tonight and Sunday’s service, here is what I’ve written up for this week.
March 15, 2015
24 | A Trial
It was an unfair trial from the beginning. It began and ended badly. In the middle, Jesus revealed his identity to the authorities who unequivocally rejected Jesus as the Messiah.
Sermon Text | Matthew 26:57-68
Those who had arrested Jesus took him to Caiaphas the high priest, where the teachers of the law and the elders had assembled. But Peter followed him at a distance, right up to the courtyard of the high priest. He entered and sat down with the guards to see the outcome.
The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for false evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death. But they did not find any, though many false witnesses came forward.
Finally two came forward and declared, “This fellow said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and rebuild it in three days.’”
Then the high priest stood up and said to Jesus, “Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?” But Jesus remained silent.
The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.”
“You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?”
“He is worthy of death,” they answered.
Then they spit in his face and struck him with their fists. Others slapped him and said, “Prophesy to us, Messiah. Who hit you?”
Worship Through Singing
Come Ye Sinners
– Recognizes that we are sinners, poor and needy, weak and wounded, sick and sore.
– In the midst of being lost and ruined by ‘the fall’ Jesus is full of pity and love.
Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
– Lyrics of Hymn: ‘On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand’
– Our hope is built in nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness.
– The weak are made strong in the Love of our Savior
In Christ Alone
– Tells the story of the Gospel
– Re: Christ- ’He is my light, my strength, my song.’
– There is no power of hell or scheme of man that could pluck us from the hand of God.
All My Tears
– Our true home and true freedom are with Christ
– ‘Gold and silver blind the eye, temporary riches lie’
I Need You
– Song of confession
– We find our rest in Christ
– Where sin runs deep, God’s grace abounds!
Man of Sorrows
– Betrayed by His own
– Carried the weight of sin
– Sent to reconcile humanity with God.
– Our debt has been paid in full.